In linea generale, Generally speaking, digital transformation refers to the great impact that new technologies are having on society and businesses.
The impact of new technologies and the extent of the change generated affect the whole of society, starting from public organizations to get to individual citizens.
The digital transformation for companies profoundly changes the conception that the worker has with respect to his job and the ways in which the company manages all production processes.
So what tools for Digital Transformation?
- Culture, Vision and change of mentality: change management.
- New technologies for the digitization of processes, operations and the supply chain: blockchain, artificial intelligence, internet of things, etc.
- Agile organization and work: new data-driven business models based on open innovation
Why is digital transformation important?
The return on investment for Italian companies that invest in DX is concrete: in first place is the growth of the CX (Customer Experience) which, thanks to digital innovation, grows by 51% in Italy on a par with the reduction in operating costs.
Per più di quasi 5 aziende italiane su 10 (49%), il beneficio della DX si traduce nella generazione di nuove fonti di ricavo (Fonte: IDC – febbraio 2018) mentre per il 35% in una crescita delle revenue esistenti. L’economia digitale, infatti, significa molto per il Sistema Paese.
The digital economy is changing professions and skills.
If yesterday it was enough to understand the technology to make business operations work better, today it is necessary to understand the business operations to introduce the technology that helps the business to flourish.
3 Reasons to invest in Digital Transformation?
1. Make their business more profitable: In a recent Gartner survey, “56% said their digital enhancements have already increased profits.”
2. Customers Will Thank You: Both external customers and internal employees have already largely adopted digital practices in all aspects of their lives (from online shopping via their mobile devices to remotely adjusting their home thermostat). They are waiting for companies to catch up.
3. Competitors are already doing it: According to a report from Forrester Research, executives predict nearly half of their revenue will be digital-driven by 2020.
What barriers to the digital transformation of companies?
Many entrepreneurs think that investing in cutting-edge machinery, equipment or software is enough. All this is not enough even if these give the possibility to extrapolate big data.
They should be cataloged and strategically analyzed (analytics) in order to optimize the business or reduce inefficiencies (business insight).
The biggest obstacle is related to digital skills!
The human resources present within the company organization may not be sufficient or may need projects to strengthen skills. Some companies, to tell the truth, have already started staff retraining projects from a 4.0 perspective a few years ago!
Investing in technology and equipment and not in the Man who governs them would be crazy!
We always offer change management courses primarily to executives and c-levels, identifying among them the “digital champions” who will have to be the spokesperson and reference for the digital transformation project in the company.
Only afterwards, and in relation to the specific needs of the companies, do we implement the new technologies, already mentioned, in their production, administrative and management process.
Thanks to our network of partners and an open innovation logic, we are able to guarantee the management of the entire digital transformation project and the offer of technological services based on the needs of the individual company.
Furthermore, ICT and technological processes permeate the corporate organization which should become increasingly agile and work in smart mode, adapting to a business model based on big data.
To conclude, start projects that envisage a change in management mentality and data driven business model design as a strategic and training approach and, only after that, technology and processes to transform the company from a digital point of view and improve sustainability.